The Senior Cloud Systems Engineer will utilize best practices and methodologies to design, deploy, upgrade, monitor, and support cloud infrastructure solutions for our clients. This position will be expected to accomplish a full range of system engineering duties, which include planning, architecting, engineering, building, creating documentation, creating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and best practices, testing, quality assurance, monitoring, and client support independently and with a team. This role is responsible to function as a technical lead or coach/mentor for Cloud Systems Engineers. This includes guiding Cloud System Engineers in the daily duties for this position and in using the SOPs and best practices to keep our Clients Cloud environments running without error.
Engineering and Project Delivery
- Performs system design and engineering for new and existing clients generally including researching existing system configuration, confirming desired client outcomes, developing a “bill of materials” of all parts, equipment, and licenses needed, and Arctic IT labor.
- Assists in the Design and migration of on-premises workloads and systems to the Cloud, as well as deployment of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) environments in the Cloud as needed, to achieve desired outcomes.
- Participates in monitoring Azure environments and proposes solutions to minimize total cost of operating Azure environments
- Work with Program/Project Manager to create Quality Control Plans for how to best manage Client environments
- Provide inputs into weekly and monthly status reports
- Support release of new applications into Client’s Cloud environment, including reviewing applications for readiness for production and compliance with Client SOPs and cloud best practices
- Work with Senior Cloud Architect to define and monitor adherence to Client Cloud infrastructure governance, SOPs, and best practices
- Serves as internal SME for best practices and recommendations for Cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure, backup and disaster recovery solutions, networking, virtualization, and storage
- Recommends and defines implementation architectures within Azure and how applications are developed, deployed, and maintained using Azure.
- Defines and promotes DevOps best practices of the implementation architecture
- Serve as an additional resource to the Cloud Architect as workload demands
- Works with a team to create a detailed and accurate scope document, design or proposal (such as Statement of Work deliverable) to present to clients
- Recommends solutions to maximize client value of their technology investments
- Applies deep expertise towards server and system infrastructure design, including Microsoft AD/Azure AD, group policy, identity and access management, server configuration best practices, and related components
- Build and deploy Azure Resource Manager (ARM) templates as needed
- Consult and advise on best practices on security management around identity and access
- Collaborates with Arctic IT project managers and client to identify an agreeable project schedule
- Leads and participates in network and infrastructure projects
- Ensures project documentation is complete, current, and recorded appropriately
- Conducts quality assurance reviews of assigned projects
- Participates in security documentation creation and review for federal government Assessment & Authorization (A&A) with the goal of achieving or renewing a systems Authority to Operate (ATO)
- Effectively applies industry and firm best practices consistently
- Provides input (to Sales and Account Management) for client IT roadmap, training and/or other technology related needs.
Infrastructure Maintenance & Support
- Proactively identifies potential issues or opportunities to clients and AIT
- Ensures Cloud documentation is complete, current, and stored properly
- Keeps up with leading edge technologies from Microsoft
- Serves as an escalation point for technical support for other team members
Collaboration & Communication
- Shares knowledge with team members and encourages others to do the same
- Effectively communicates within the team, the company, and Clients
- Appropriately escalates issues to team members, Arctic IT management, or external technical support
- Promotes knowledge sharing and efficiency through accurate and complete ticket notes, project notes, etc.
- Mentor other Cloud Systems Engineers or technical team members
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of combined technical consulting, Cloud engineering, system administration, or Azure administration experience in an enterprise environment
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Computer Science, or equivalent field related experience
- Maintains current Microsoft certifications and other certifications as applicable
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Azure, , Active Directory and Azure AD and Exchange Solutions
- Expertise in CI/CD (DevOps) pipelines and significant experience utilizing, but not limited to, the following tools, Jenkins, Chef, Nexus, Jira, and Git
- Strong understanding of Azure Architecture to include Azure VNets, Load Balancing, High Availability and Disaster Recovery as well as Azure Security
- Experience with Azure Automation
- Strong PowerShell experience as well as Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Strong technical documentation ability
- Must have valid state driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, and auto insurance
- Applicants subject to government security investigations and must meet eligibility requirements related to the clearance process
The majority of work for this role is performed in a home office and interacts with a wide variety of people with differing functions, personalities, and abilities. Telecommuters are expected to have sufficient home office space that appears neat, organized, and professional when on video meetings. Travel is required and varies around 25%.
It is Arctic Information Technology, Inc.’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
Arctic Information Technology, Inc. grants preference to qualified Doyon Shareholders first, and second to qualified shareholders of other Alaska Native corporations that grant a similar preference in all phases of employment and training, which include, but are not limited to hiring, promotion, layoff, transfer, and training.
Pay Transparency Statement
Arctic Information Technology will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of the other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Arctic Information Technology Inc. is a Federal Contractor and complies with the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA).
Arctic Information Technology, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law and the poster is available at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf. For questions on the job posting contact (253) 344-5300.
*Hitting the Apply Now button below will take you to the job posting on the Doyon, Limited website. This is our parent company.